Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Death in the Family

My uncle has just lost his battle with brain cancer. He wasn't just an uncle either, he was the cool uncle. My aunt Karen would always babysit me if my mother was in school, and of course I'd eagerly await the arrival of my uncle Edward from work. He had cool stories to tell and would always like to get my aunt winded up for the rest of the night. But of course they loved each other dearly, as they've been married when she was 18. The kind of eternal love you only see in movies.

I can't stop being upset. I'd like to go to the funeral but, unfortunately work most likely be as understanding. There's also the fact of last seeing him consumed by the cancer, and not how he usually looks. He was close to 60, but the cancer left him looking like a little old man. In my mind, I have preserved memories of what my uncle Edward looks like and the life he lived.

I know death is a part of life, just wish it allowed more time and maybe a warning when it what was time to say goodbye.

1 comment:


  1. You paint a fabulous picture of your aunt and uncle's relationship. Sounds like the world lost a good one. RIP Uncle Edward.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete