Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Judgement

I've faced this and so have many others, during infertility. We are judged on our feelings and choosing to protect them, rather than pleasing everyone else. You get judged if you're even considering modern medical treatments. Let it happen naturally. Yeah, for some it just can't...so mind your fertile business. I've noticed experienced mothers judging me in my choices for using disposable nappies instead of cloth and attempting to BF.

For Example:

I'll walk into a baby shop, just look at the cloth nappies and I'm attacked by some hippie skirt woman with a baby wrapped to her back trying to get me to convert to cloth. Are you trying to get me to convert to Judaism or sell me cloth nappies? They're like some sort of crazy cult. The earthy saleswoman then proceeds to, "educate" me with statistics. Which of course I've already done my homework and know what they are, those numbers aren't entirely conclusive because it depends on the cost of living in that area. You also need to factor in the hard water (85% of the US water) and special detergent you will need to buy just to get your nappies clean. In the long run it is cheaper, however you have to build a collection to get you started which can cost at least $500 upfront. Who wants to do that with all the expenses, baby or not, they have now? I'll politely decline, deal with the judgmental look she's giving me, and she'll hand me her business card in hopes I will change my mind. Lather, rinse, repeat. This happens in every baby shop I go into.

Just leave me alone, fertile bitches! I've faced enough judgment with IF, that I couldn't even control! Last time I checked personal choices are neither right, nor wrong.


1 comment: